Chris Cray 3rd Dan – Profile
Chris started Karate aged 7, after being refused entry into the Bulldog Boxing Gym for being too young. After being advised to join a local Karate Club, he found Malvern Karate Club in the Old Thomas Lane Hall and joined straight away. Taught by founder of the club, Tommy Till, he trained and graded regularly, winning competitions along the way. At the age of 11, Chris won the KUGB National Championships in Birmingham, a title he has gone on to win a further 4 times. At 12 Chris passed his Shodan (1st Dan) after examination from the late Sensei Enoeda.
In 2000 Chris was selected on to the KUGB England Junior Kumite Squad. From there he went on to represent England at Grandslam events until he was selected for the KUGB England team that travelled to the ESKA European Championships in Limassol, Cyprus in 2002.
Chris then went on to represent England at many European and World Championships, winning the following events internationally:
- 2004 ESKA European Championships – Cadiz, Spain – Junior Individual Kumite
- 2005 WSKA World Championships – Chicago, USA – Junior Team Kumite
- 2007 WSKA World Championships – Bydgodz , Poland – Senior Team Kumite
- 2007 ESKA European Championships – Porto, Portugal – Senior Individual Kumite
- 2007 ESKA European Championships – Porto, Portugal – Senior Team Kumite
- 2008 ESKA European Championships – Crawley, England – Senior Team Kumite
- 2009 WSKA World Championships – Cancun, Mexico – Senior Team Kumite
- 2009 ESKA European Championships – Wels, Austria – Senior Team Kumite
Chris’ competitive career has somewhat been hampered by injury since 2009 after rupturing his Anterior Cruciate Ligament at the Grandslam. After a brief return to competition in 2011, he represented England at both the World Championships in Chicago and the European Championships in Poland, gaining a silver medal at both Team Kumite events. Unfortunately the same injury occurred on his left leg this time which made Chris call time on competitive Karate.
On September 26th 2015, at the KUGB’s Special Dan Grade Course in Bath University’s Sports Training Village, Chris successfully graded for this 3rd Dan under the watchful eye of Sensei’s Andy Sherry, Frank Brennan and Bob Poynton.
Today his main priority is to continue training and improving all he has learnt over the 23 year period and passing on the knowledge he gains to the students of the club.
Selected Media featuring Chris
Some pictures reproduced with permission from the KUGB. Please only reuse if you link back and acknowledge their site. Thank you. http://www.kugb.org/